《牛津实用英语语法》

下载本书

添加书签

牛津实用英语语法- 第68部分


按键盘上方向键 ← 或 → 可快速上下翻页,按键盘上的 Enter 键可回到本书目录页,按键盘上方向键 ↑ 可回到本页顶部!
走开!你要再到这幢建筑里来,我就将你报警了。
clear out(tr)把(房间/碗柜/抽屉等)腾空以便放别的东西:
I’ll clear out this drawer and you can put your things in it.( clear this drawer out/clear it out)
我会把这个抽屉腾空,这样你就能把你的东西放在里面了。
clear up(intr)有云或雨后天晴了:
The sky looks a bit cloudy now but I think it will clear up.
现在天看来有点阴,但我想天会晴的。
clear up(tr/intr)收拾整齐干净:
When you are cooking it’s best to clear up as you go,instead of leaving everything to the end and having a terrible pile of things to deal with.
烹调时,最好是边干边收拾,而不要把活留到最后而剩下一大堆东西要打扫收拾。
Clear up this mess.(clear this mess up/clear it up)
把这堆乱糟糟的东西收拾干净。
clear up(tr)
(a)完成(某种尚待完成的工作):
I have some letters which I must clear up before I leave tonight.
有几封信我今天晚上走以前必须写完。
(b)侦破(不可思议的怪事、案件等):
In a great many detective stories when the police are baffled an amateurdetective es along and clears up the mystery.(clears it up)
在许多侦探小说中,当警察束手无策时,来了个业余侦探,把案子给破了。
close
close down(tr/intr)永远关闭,停业(指商店或买卖等):
Trade was so bad that many small shops closed down and big shops closedsome of their branches down.(closed down some branches/closed themdown)
市面很差,许多小店停业了,大商店也关了一些分店。
close in(intr)逼近,从四面凑近(常用于雾、夜色、敌人等):
As the mist was closing in we decided to stay where we were.
由于雾越来越逼近,我们决定留在原地不动。
close up(intr)缩小间距(指一行人):
If you children closed up a bit there’d be room for another one on thisseat.
你们几个孩子要是挤一挤,这座位上还能加一个人。
e
e across/upon(tr)碰巧发现,碰巧找到:
When I was looking for my passport I came across these old photographs.
我在找护照时碰巧找到了这些旧相片。
e along/on(intr)和我一起来,陪伴我去(常用来敦促犹豫不决的人或拖拖拉拉的人):
e on,or we’ll be late.
快点,否则我们要迟到了。
e away(intr)(和我一起)走/离开:
e away now, It’s time to go home.
快走吧。该回家了。
e away/off(intr)自行脱落:
When I pickd up the teapot the handle came away in my hand.
我拿起茶壶时,茶壶掉了而只剩茶壶柄在我手里。
e in(intr),e into( tr)进入:
Someone knocked at my door and I said,‘e in.’
有人敲我的门,我说:“进来。”
e into the garden and I’ll show you my roses.
到花园里来,我给你看我的玫瑰花。
e off(intr)
(a)(计划或阴谋)成功(用于否定句):
I’m afraid that scheme of yours won’t e off.It needs more capitalthan you have available.
恐怕你那个计划不会成功。它需要的投资不是你能拿得出来的。
(b) 发生,按预先安排的那样发生:
—When is the wedding ing off?
—Next June.
—婚礼什么时候举行?
—6月份。
如果我们说The duchess was to have opened the bazaar(公爵夫人本来是要为义卖主持开幕仪式的),我们的意思是说计划是那样订的,但没有实现(她本安排好要去为它揭幕,但后来不得不取消这一安排)。
(c)(话剧、展览等)结束一轮演出或展出:
‘Lady windermere’s Fan’is ing off next week.You’d better hurryif you want to see it.
《少奶奶的扇子》下周要结束演出了。你要想看的话得抓紧点。
e out(intr)
(a)被揭露或发觉(这里的主语常是the truth真相/the facts事实/the whol story 全部内情等;并且一般指有关人士想竭力掩盖的事实即丑闻等):
They deceived everybody till they quarrelled among themselves;then onepublicly denounced the others and the whole truth came out.
他们把大家都骗了,直到后来内讧起来,其中一个人公开揭发了别人,这才真相大白。
(b)(书籍)发行:
Her new novel will be ing out in time for the Christmas sales.
她的新小说将赶在圣诞节购物潮时发行。
(c)(污渍)消除,洗掉:
Tomato stains don’t usually e out.
西红柿污渍一般洗不净。
e round(intr)
(a)终于接受以前所反对的建议:
Her father at first refused to let her study abroad but he came round(to it)in the end.
她父亲起初反对她去外国念书,但终于回心转意了。(他说可以让她去。)
(b)到某人的家里来:
I’ll e round after dinner and tell you the plan.
我晚饭后来转一下,把计划说给你听。
e round/to(intr;to重读) 恢复知觉:
When we found him he was unconscious but he came round/to in half anhour and explained that he had been attacked and robbed.
我们发现他时他已失去知觉,但是半小时后他恢复了知觉,说他遭到殴打抢劫。
e up(intr)
(a) 升到水面,生长出来:
A diver with an aqualung doesn’t have to keep ing up for air;he canstay underwater for quite a long time.
备有潜水供氧器的潜水员无需不断升出水面呼吸;他可以在水下停留相当长的时间。
Weeds are ing up everywhere.
杂草到处蔓生。
(b)被提到:
The question of the caretaker’s wages came up at the last meeting.
在上次会议中提到了看楼人的工资问题。
e up(intr),e up to(tr)走近,来到能说话的近处:
A policeman was standing a few yards away.He came up to me and said,‘You can’t park here.’
几码外站着一位警察。他走过来并对我说:“你不能把车子停放在这里。”
crop
crop up(intr)出现,意外地或偶然地出现(主语常是一个抽象名词如difficulties困难/the subject题目或是一个代词):
At first all sorts of difficulties cropped up and delayed us.Later we learnthow to anticipate these.
起初冒出来了各式各样的困难,耽搁了我们。后来我们学会了如何为这些困难预作准备。
cut
cut down a tree 砍倒树木:
If you cut down all the trees you will ruin the land.(cut the trees down/ cut them down)
你要是砍倒所有的树木,就会把土地给毁了。
cut down(tr) 减少数量:
We must cut down expenses or we’ll be getting into debt.
我们得减少支出,否则就要负债了。
‘This article is too long,’said the editor.‘Could you cut it down to2,000 words?’
“这篇文章太长了,”编辑说,“你能不能把它缩到两千字?”
cut in(intr)在车距极近的不安全情况下并行抢道并插到另一辆车前面:
Accidents are often caused by drivers cutting in.
车祸常由司机抢道插到别的车前面而引起。
cut off(tr)切断、停止供应(宾语可以是水、电、煤气,也可以是被停供的人):
The pany has cut off our electricity supply because we haven’t paidour bill.(cut our supply off/cut it off)
因为我们没有付电费,公司断了我们的电。
They’ve cut off the water/our water supply temporarily because they arerepairing one of the main pipes.
他们暂时断了我们的水源,因为在修其中的一条主要的水管。
We were cut off in the middle of our(telephone)conversation.
我们(电)话还没完,就被掐断了。(这可能是偶然的事,也可能是电话接线员故意的行为。)
cut someone off 阻挡某人使其不能逃到安全地带(常用于指潮水围困,特别是用被动态时):
We were cut off by the tide and had to be rescued by boat.
我们被潮水困住了,只好由小船搭救出来。
be cut off(intr)被隔绝在不方便的地方(主语常是某一地方或住在某一地方的人):
You will be pletely cut off if you go to live in that village becausethere is a bus only once a week.
你要是去住在那个村里,就会与世隔绝了,因为那里每周只有一班公共汽车。
cut out(tr)
(a)从布、纸等上弄下所需形状:
When I am making a dress I mark the cloth with chalk and then cut itout.(cut out the dress/cut the dress out)
我缝衣服时先用白粉在布上画出样子,然后再剪下。
Young people often cut out photographs of their favourite pop stars andstick them to the walls.
年轻人常把最喜欢的流行歌手的相片剪下来贴在墙上。
(b)略去,排除,不再继续:
If you want to get thin you must cut out sugar.(cut it out)
你要是想瘦点,就得不吃糖。
be cut out for(tr)特别适合于……(用于指人,又常用于否定句中):
His father got him a job in a bank but it soon became clear that he wasnot cut out for that kind of work.
他爸爸给他在银行里找了一个工作,但是不久就可以清楚地看出来,他不适合干那种工作。
cut up(tr) 切、割、剪成碎片:
They cut down the tree and cut it up for firewood.(cut the tree up/cut up the tree)
他们把树砍倒并劈碎当柴火了。
die
die away(intr)(声音)逐渐微弱直到听不到:
They waited till the sound of the guard’s footsteps died away.
他们一直等到警卫的脚步声消逝了。
die down(intr)逐渐平静下来,直至平息(常指骚乱、火、心情的一阵波动等):
When the excitement had died down the shopkeepers took down theirshutters and reopened their shops.
波动平息后,店主们取下了窗板,重新开店营业。
die out(intr)绝灭,成为过去(常指风俗、种族、动物品种等):
Elephants would die out if men could shoot as many as they wished.
如果人们爱猎杀多少大象就可以猎杀多少,大象就会灭种了。
do
do away with(tr)废除:
The government should do away with the regulations restricting drinkinghours.
政府应该废除限制卖酒的时间的规章。
do up(tr)重新装饰:
When I do this room up I’ll paint the walls cream.(do up this room/doit up)
我重新装修房间时,要把墙漆成奶油色。
do without(tr)不要……而凑合过,免去……也可以:
We had to do without petrol during the fuel crisis.
在燃料危机期间,我们不得不过没有汽油的日子。
有时宾语可以意会,不说出来:
If there isn’t any milk we’ll have to do without(it).
如果没有牛奶,我们只好将就了。
draw
draw back(intr)撤退,(因惊惧而)向后闪:
It’s too late to draw back now;the plans are all made.
现在再后退也太晚了;计划都订好了。
draw up(tr)草拟,写出(计划或协议书):
My solicitor drew up the lease and we both signed it.(drew it up)
我的律师拟好了租约,我们两个人都签了名。
draw up(intr)停下(指车辆等):
The car drew up at the kerb and the driver got out.
车在马路边停下,开车人下了车。
drop
drop in(intr)未经通知而造访并停留较短的时间:
He dropped in for a few minutes to ask if he could borrow your powerdrill.
他不告而来,坐了几分钟,问是否能借用你的电钻。(比call in更口语化些。)
drop out(intr)退出(某计划或行动):
We planned to hire a coach for the excursion but now so many peoplehave dropped out that it will not be needed.
我们原计划租一辆大客车去郊游,但是现在已有这么多人退出,车就不需要了。
enter
enter for(tr)报名参加(竞赛、考试等):
Twelve thousand petitors have entered for the next LondonMarathon.
已有12,000人报名参加下一次伦敦马拉松比赛。
fade
fade away(intr) 消失,逐渐减弱(常指声音):
The band moved on and the music faded away.
乐队继续行进,乐声逐渐听不见了。
fall
fall back(intr)后退,撤退(指有意识的行动,与fall behind不同,后者是不由自主的):
As the enemy advanced we fell back.
敌人向前推进,我们就后退了。
fall back on(tr) 退而求其次地使用某物:
We had to fall back on dried milk as fresh milk wasn’t available.
因为找不到鲜奶,我们不得已使用了奶粉。
He fell back on the old argument that if you educate

小提示:按 回车 [Enter] 键 返回书目,按 ← 键 返回上一页, 按 → 键 进入下一页。 赞一下 添加书签加入书架